Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Christmas Adventures Part One- Week 29

I'm officially on holidays for two whole weeks, I'm excited to sleep in and go to the beach. I'm starting it off with a wonderful holiday to Surfer's Paradise on the Gold Coast. I went with a new friend, we slept at her place on friday night (the 20th) before waking up at 3:30am to begin our journey to the airport. I have never gone through airport security so easy and before I knew it we were on our place. Yay for 6am morning flights! We arrived in Surfers at 6:30 and navigated our way to the hostel. After dumping our things in the locker room, we changed into our bathing suits and headed out for breakfast and beach.

It was so hot on the beach by 9am that we knew we wouldn't last the whole day there. We left to get some lunch and walk around exploring and ended up buying a bar crawl ticket. By this point sleep was much needed so we went back to the hostel to settle in and take a nap. It was my first hostel experience and I quite liked it. It was dirty and gross and we shared a dorm room but the people we met were really cool to talk to and hangout with.   


We grabbed some dinner before doing the bar crawl and just for spur of the moment fun, got our noses pierced too. I am quite taken with mine at the moment. I don't see it as a forever thing but its cute to have right now. The bar crawl started at a bowling alley, I rolled a strike once but the rest were mostly gutter balls. We made some new friends with girls from Canada, and Australia and a few guys from Canada as well. Honestly I met more Canadians here in Surfers than I have in Sydney. It was really cool to share experiences about winter at home and missing christmas. 


Our second day was spent at the beach too, where I picked up an awful sunburn. The sun always seems to the find the very spots that you miss with sunscreen. We had a relatively quiet night out, playing pool and a couple of beers at an irish pub. 



Day three we went to movie world, it was really neat to see a Warner Brothers theme park. It wasn't nearly as big as Disney World or Universal but it was still fun. My favourite ride was probably the Green Lantern, the way it went upside down and hung you for a few seconds was definitely a thrill. The most surprising ride of the day was the Scooby Doo ride, it was dark with drops and twists and turns. I wasn't expecting it to be scary at all, especially since it was targeted for kids. 



We did another bar crawl with the hostel we were at and made another new friend. I even found a hockey game on at one of the bars. Being deprived from hockey over here I made myself a spot with some new friends to watch the game. I think being a girl watching hockey must scream Canadian because I had a few Canadians approach me. Like I said there were just so many Canadians!

Our last day was spent at Ripley's Believe it or not, we spent several hours in there looking at the exhibits. It was really neat. Then it was time to pack up and head home. It was sad to leave, I found a sense of bonding with everyone at the hostel being away from home for christmas. 

I caught a ride home with Santa on his sleigh for the last bit of my ride to Sydney.  The girls were anxiously awaiting Santa in their matching christmas pj's (another christmas tradition). 


No comments:

Post a Comment