Thursday, April 9, 2015

I fall in love with places

It's not the first time this has happened where I fall in love with a place, hopelessly and entirely in love. The first time it happened I was in Byron Bay. The sun, the surf, the lighthouse, dolphins and beach stole my heart before I knew what was happening. This time it was Edinburgh. When I stepped off the airplane and breathed in the fresh air, I knew I'd like the place. When I stepped off the bus and saw the city and the castle lit up at night I knew I was falling.  

I took a day tour through the highlands to see Loch Ness. We stopped in several key places to see a highland cow, sheep, herding clinics, Glen Coe, various bridges, Stirling Castle, and passed places that I could begin to pronounce. It was rainy, extremely wet, cold, and absolutely beautiful. By the end of the day I knew I had fallen in love with Scotland.  I knew that three days wasn't possibly going to be enough.  

I spent a day exploring the high street, wandering in and out of shops. I visited Grey Friars Kirk a grave yard which contained a very special dog. Grey Friars Bobby a little dog who was so besotted with his master that he spent 14 years laying by his grave. He was taken care of by the parish and earned himself a place at the front of the grave yard for his devotion. I also visited a cafe where J.K. Rowling first wrote Harry Potter, in the back room looking out upon Edinburgh Castle. I spent an evening in a Scottish pub. I even visited the National Museum. 

I visited the Castle of course and the history of the Scots was astounding. I felt a connection knowing that my ancestors came from Scotland. It made the history so much more. The architecture throughout the small bit of Edinburgh that I had the chance to see was absolutely amazing. It was full of stonework, cobblestones, alleyways, and gothic monuments. 
 


I felt at home in the land of bagpipes, kilts and Scottish accents. 
 And fell in love again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment