Monday, December 9, 2013

Life Thoughts

When I was growing up I never in a million years imagined that I would be travelling to the other side of world. In fact I didn't even think I would leave my hometown.


My future to me was something like graduate high school, go to university an hour away from home, go to teachers college an hour away from home, get a job at my old school or nearby, and while I was achieving those things I imagined that I would meet Mr. Right and get married along the way. I would have probably taken time off when I had children but go back to work after they went to school.


Life as it seems as a funny way of throwing curveballs when you least expect it. As I applied for university, I was convinced to go on a trip to Guelph Ontario where I fell in love with the school. I didn't get in and ended up attending my second choice Ottawa Ontario. I quickly adapted to being a city girl, made plenty of friends, and lost focus of my studies. I could always find something better to do than school work. After two years university and I didn't work out. I was devastated and thought for sure I had ruined my life. Simply by chance I found a job in a daycare doing supply work. I then started my online college diploma in Early Childhood Education. I found a job that I truly loved doing, every day was an adventure. However being home again wasn't as fulfilling as I had previous imagined. I began to feel stuck even though I loved my job. I had a wonderful job, and great family but I felt trapped as though I need to leave. A friend left for Australia and I began to dream.


I began researching and finding information on how to go to Australia myself. I found a way to stay in my job field of childcare and in-between doing research for my classes I did research on my potential move. It wasn't long after that I found a wonderful family in Australia just outside of the city of Sydney.  It seemed that my plans were slowly coming together. As luck would have it, I met a boy. A boy who would have matched my original dreams. We became a couple and as I bought my plane ticket and made final arrangements it become harder and harder to mesh my two dreams together. Australia was calling me and I didn't want to stay.

In June 2013 I left my family, my friends, my boyfriend, my pets and my job to move across the world. I am not good with change and to leave so much behind was so hard. I didn't think I would be able to handle everything on my own. I knew that this was everything I wanted in the end and so I kept reminding myself of this as I struggled with my sadness. I jumped two feet into my job and discovering life here in Australia. Unsurprisingly I fell in love with Australia, it has been everything I have ever wanted. Aside from the creepy crawlies and other dangerous creatures! I have grown so much living here. My relationship wasn't working for me anymore and I had the courage to end it. We still talk as friends and I truly hope the best for him. I think I talk to my family more often living abroad than I did when I lived with them. I do feel that I have a better relationship with them now. I miss being a part of their everyday lives but love hearing all of their stories.



My time here in Australia is soon coming to an end. I have only a few months left and my time here is has been life changing. I miss my family and friends but wish I could bring them here with me. I love Australia so much, I can truly see myself living here. I haven't found Mr. Right here yet but I'm still looking! It is time for me to begin planning my next adventure as I'm still young and have plenty of time to settle down. I hear that there is lots of Aussies in London, so London England here I come! I have changed so much from the small town girl I was. I have truly embraced travel, while I will always love my Canadian roots, there is so much to see and experience. I can't wait to see what comes next and to share it with all of you. X

Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment